Pontyclun vs Swansea University FC


0-2 WIN

By Swansea University FC Match Reporter

 Starting Lineup; Churchill, R. Mcintyre, Sumers, Thomas, Jones, Cowan, Orme(C), Richardson, Hyden, Noble, O. McIntyre

SUBS: Mike Davies, Lewendon, Palmer, Arram, Mark Davies. Demba Ba, Kiousis, Fanet.



For the clubs first ever Welsh League game we travelled to Pontyclun. Pontyclun maintained a great record throughout pre-season achieving 6 wins from 6 games so the boys knew it would be a tough test. Pontyclun got the game underway and chances were few and far between for the first 25 minutes until the first opportunity arose from a mistake by the Pontyclun keeper. A clearance fell to the feet of Hyden who tried to round the keeper after some confusion with the offside Owen McIntyre however the keeper recovered the ball. A second chance came for the Swans after Noble pinched the ball from the Pontyclun left back’s feet and delivered a curling cross for Orme, who’s shot was deflected just wide for a corner. Owen Mcintyre had the final chance for the Swans in the first half after he met a cross at the back post but could make a clean connection and the ball going again, just wide of the goal. The teams went into the changing rooms for half time at 0-0


For the second half Swansea Universities fitness levels began to show and paid dividends as chances were becoming more often. Nick Hyden created the best of the chances with a teasing ball across the face of goal after beating his man but no one could find the end of it. Pontyclun had a dangerous counter attack and penalty appeal in the 55th minute with their number 11 on the end of a ball over the top with Sumers chasing closely behind. The number 11 went down on the edge of the box and Pontyclun appealed for a penalty to be awarded but the referee decided the player dived. Swansea University made their first change with Michael Davies coming on up top for Owen McIntyre with Jamie Noble coming off for Mark Davies shortly afterwards. Swansea University finally got their goal when Rory Mclntyre picked out Nick Hyden with a superb floated ball over

the centre backs head leaving Hyden free to round the keeper and slot into the empty net. From this point Swansea University then held control of the ball playing sensibly, and making their third and final change of Freddie Lewendon on for Hugo Cowan.

Swansea university found the net for the second time when Orme curted the ball into the far right hand side of the goal from the edge of the box. From this point Swansea saw the game out through good possession and shape, sealing a victory in our first ever Welsh League game. FT: 2-0